It is still winter and snow fell in large flakes, here in France but also in United States. For lovers of winter sports, is today the opening of the Olympics in Vancouver. If you're watching TV, the question will not arise but if you want to imitate your favorite champions on the snowy slopes, it will arise! Should we take gels or drink during a competition? Here are some answers concerning advantages and disadvantages of these sports food.
Pro gels :
- Low weight
- Practices to transport
- You have to drink water at the same moment
- Improper use may cause digestive disorders
- The taste is very sweet
- They can freeze
Pro sports drinks :
- The drink is often well tolerated
- The taste is less sweet or neutral
- You can use a thermal flask to maintain the right temperature of the drink
- Opportunity to purchase salty drinks
Against sports drinks :
- They must carry them!
- The aroma are sometimes chemicals
- The dissolution is not always optimal
Make your own choice according to your constraints ....
Personally, when I run, I use gels. I opened one just before resupply, I take half and I use the water proposed on the stands. I eat every 3 miles around. You really have to be very careful to stay hydrated to avoid digestive disorders.
During the training, especially on track, I opt instead for sports drinks whose taste is better.